This position covers Charlotte, Lee and Collier Counties
The Veteran Peer Mentor coordinates outreach and community education efforts and coordinates VA and public benefits in the Operation Military Assistance Program (OMAP).
- Promote community knowledge of the OMAP program through coordination with local media outlets (television, radio, newspapers, websites) and presentations in various community agencies that serve veterans and/or the homeless population.
- Maintain direct contact with established outreach sources and locations.
- Develop network of landlords willing to house veteran families.
- Conduct housing inspections.
- Work with local veterans groups to increase community knowledge of OMAP and identify potential participants.
- Access local, hard-to-reach homeless camps to identify and bring veterans into the program.
- Work with Veterans Services case managers and local and regional VA staff to coordinate VA benefits for participants.
- Work with local VA community-based outpatient clinics and Vet Centers to coordinate VA benefits for participants.
- Work with state agencies, local nonprofit social service agencies, and other community organizations to coordinate public benefits for OMAP participants.
- Maintain an ongoing relationship with other agencies in the community serving veterans and the homeless population in order to better serve clients.
Must be a veteran of the United States military, should be familiar with local VA and/or public benefits, must have a good driving record and reliable transportation.
- The ability to widen and deepen community knowledge and response to the OMAP program.
- The ability to establish positive and consistent relationships with local collaborative partners and potential participant families.
- The ability to plan community education efforts and to carry out such efforts on time and on budget.
- The ability to establish and maintain relationships within and outside the Agency , VA and the Homeless Continuum of Care (CoC) in a professional manner with full use and practice of confidentiality of case material and Agency practice.